Iloilo cops cry injustice at Ombudsman's hands but apologize after PNP chief intervention
January 26, 2022 - Wednesday 7:01 PM by GDM
Gen. Dionardo Carlos, chief of the Philippine National Police (PNP), apologized to the Office of the Ombudsman for the outburst of two police officials in Iloilo over an alleged injustice in handling their cases.
In a press briefing on Wednesday, Carlos said he had already talked with Capt. Charlie Sustento and Lt. Col. Jonathan Pinuela discussed the grievance mechanisms that must be applied within the police organization.
Sustento was dismissed from the service in 2017 after he was charged in the Office of the Ombudsman when they accosted two people in Dumangas, Iloilo, over an alleged motorcycle theft. He was reinstated recently but was demoted from Police Major to Police Capt. He would have been Police Lieutenant Colonel.
Pinuela, on the other hand, was slapped with a six-month suspension by the Office of the Ombudsman for a case relating to the implementation of the gun ban in Iloilo.
Both Sustento and Pinuela claimed injustice at the hands of the Ombudsman and accused a local politician as behind the adverse ruling against them.
Sustento, in a media interview on Jan, 20, blasted the Ombudsman and insinuated allegations relating to injustice and corruption.
Carlos said he had already talked with the two police officers during his visit on Sunday in Iloilo and explained that such behavior is unbecoming of an officer of the PNP.
Carlos said the two apologized to him and expressed willingness to suffer the consequences of their rants.
On Wednesday, the two issued a joint statement apologizing to the Office of the Ombudsman, particularly Ombudsman Samuel Martirez.
Record-breaking voter turnout logged in Hong Kong
The Department of Foreign Affairs announced that a record-breaking voter turnout rate of 64.18% has been registered in the 30-day Overseas Voting ( ...4 hours ago
Globe sustains revenue growth in 1st quarter
Globe Telecoms announced that they were able to sustain revenue growth during the first quarter of the year amid the easing pandemic restrictions, ...4 hours ago
Over P680K worth of shabu seized in Batangas
Philippine National Police Officer-In-Charge PLTGEN Vicente D. Danao Jr. announced the seizure of P680,000 worth of shabu in Batangas recently. ...4 hours ago
Five rebels surrender in Maguindanao
FIVE members of a communist terrorist group surrendered to state troops in Maguindanao on Wednesday, the Philippine military said in a statement on ...4 hours ago