Alec Baldwin faces raps of involuntary manslaughter over ‘Rust’ fatal shooting
January 27, 2023 - Friday 2:01 PM by ICE MARTINEZ
Alec Baldwin faces charges with two counts of involuntary manslaughter over the fatal shooting of “Rust” cinematographer Halyna Hutchins.
Meanwhile, the film’s armorer, Hannah Gutierrez Reed, who was in charge of the weapons on set, will also be charged with involuntary manslaughter.
Involuntary manslaughter carries a maximum sentence of 18 months in jail.
“After a thorough review of the evidence and the laws of the state of New Mexico, I have determined that there is sufficient evidence to file criminal charges against Alec Baldwin and other members of the ‘Rust’ film crew,” Santa Fe District Attorney (DA) Mary Carmack-Altwies said in a statement.
On October 21, 2021, Hutchins was shot in the chest after Baldwin’s prop gun discharged a live round on set. She died at 42 years old.
“Rust” director Joel Souza was also injured, but the DA said that no charges will be filed specific to his injuries.
The legal team of Baldwin, 64, called the charge against his client “a terrible miscarriage of justice.”
“Mr. Baldwin had no reason to believe there was a live bullet in the gun — or anywhere on the movie set. He relied on the professionals with whom he worked, who assured him the gun did not have live rounds,” Luke Nikas of Quinn Emanuel law firm told Page Six. “We will fight these charges, and we will win.”
The charges came after Baldwin settled a wrongful death lawsuit with the Hutchins family in October 2022.
After which Baldwin filed a negligence suit against four crew members for handing him the loaded gun and failing to maintain safety on set.
“This tragedy happened because live bullets were delivered to the set and loaded into the gun,” Baldwin’s lawyer said.
Baldwin denied any responsibility for the cinematographer’s death and also insisted he did not pull the trigger.
The movie is set to resume production and filming this month.
Cop in P6.7B shabu drug haul in Manila dismissed
Police Master Sergeant Rodolfo Mayo Jr., a police anti-illegal drug intelligence operative arrested last year for over 990 kilos of shabu seized in Manila, is already dismissed from the service, the Philippine National Police (PNP) announced on Tuesday, March 21. Based on the PNP data, the recomm...13 hours ago